- Restoring your home after water damage requires quick action, careful planning, and the right resources.
- Hiring a professional water damage restoration company is best because DIY projects may not fully restore your home.
- Additionally, turning off the power supply, taking photos of the damage, and removing any belongings still salvageable can help facilitate a successful restoration.
- You must also document the evidence professionally and contact your insurance company to start filing a claim.
Minor plumbing leaks, broken pipes, severe storms, flooding, and hurricanes can all lead to water damage. If you have experienced water damage in Virginia Beach, waste no time in taking action to prevent further damage and begin the restoration process.
In this blog post, we’ll discuss five essential steps that will help ensure successful restoration:
1. Contact a Professional Water Damage Restoration Company | Water Damage In Virginia Beach
A common mistake homeowners make is attempting to clean up the water damage independently. It often causes further damage, resulting in costly repairs.
The best thing to do is contact a local restoration company and let them handle the process.
2. Turn Off the Power Supply
After discovering water damage in your home, turning off the power supply as soon as possible is essential. This can help prevent further damage and increase safety, as water and electricity don’t mix.
If you cannot turn off the power supply, contact an electrician to do so before you step into the affected area. Keep everyone away from that area, and don’t use electrical appliances until a professional has assessed the situation.
Related: Water Disaster Restoration in Virginia Beach | Home Appliances Likely to Cause Water Damage
3. Take Photos of the Damage
You need to collect evidence of the damage caused by the water to make a successful insurance claim. Take pictures of the affected area from different angles, go as close as possible, and try to capture the entire area.
4. Document Your Losses | Water Damage In Virginia Beach
Once you have all the evidence you need, start documenting your losses. Write down everything damaged and includes photos or videos to support your claims. This document can serve as the basis for filing an insurance claim.
Include a detailed description of how much damage was done and how much you estimate it will cost to repair or replace the items. Restoration experts can help document water damage and ensure you have everything you need for a successful insurance claim.
5. Contact Your Insurance Company
Get in touch with your insurance company and present all the evidence and facts clearly and professionally. Ensure all your documents are in order and you clearly understand your policy.
Your insurance company should do everything possible to help you get the compensation you need during this difficult time.
Let the Restoration Experts Help You Tackle Water Damage in Virginia Beach
Virginia Beach residents have trusted ServiceMaster Southside for years. Our company provides a complete range of water damage restoration services. We understand the importance of fast action when dealing with water damage. Our team is IICRC certified and highly trained to quickly assess the situation and begin work to salvage as much of your home as possible.
We offer water extraction, structural and floor drying, structural dehumidification, mold and sewage remediation, and odor and stain removal services for safe and effective home restoration after water damage.